Jamal has $400 to spend on a camping trip. He knows he will have to spend at least $15 a day on food and expenses.
What do you notice? What do you wonder?
Notice responses might include:
- Jamal has $400 now
- Jamal will spend at least $15
- At the beginning of the 2nd day, he will have less than $385
- In 10 days, he will have less than $400-$150
- We don’t know how long he is going for.
Wonder responses might include:
- How much money will he have after 4 days
- How long before he has no more money?
- How much money will he have at any time during the trip?
- If he has $183, how long has he been on the trip?
Now answer all of the above wonder questions, as well as any that you thought of.
In particular let’s explore the following:
How can we mathematically represent the amount of money Jamal may have at any point in the trip. And, what are some other questions you could answer about this situation?
(Make sure to consider using all of the representations in your discussion (graph, rule, table).