Learning Intentions (Objectives)
a) Explain and identify horizontal and vertical translations by replacing \(f(x)\) by \(f(x) + k\) and \(f(x + k)\). Students will be able to identify these shifts tabularly and algebraically.
b) Observe the similarities and differences in a linear, quadratic and exponential function.
Rationale (Diagnostic Results)
Students do not see the structure of the vertical or horizontal shifts either in the table or the equation and that relates to the shifts in the graphs of the functions.
Standards Addressed in this Lesson
- Explore (Table of Values)
- Explore (You decide linear, exponential or quadratic?) pt 1
- Explore (You decide linear, exponential or quadratic?) pt 2
- Explore (You decide linear, exponential or quadratic?) pt 3
- Watch (Table of Values)
- Making Connections (Table of Values and Graphing Representations)
- Watch (Function Transformation)
- Explore (Function Translations with Desmos)