Learning Intentions (Objectives)
- Students will use the Pythagorean Theorem to classify triangles. You will also discuss properties of different types of triangles (acute, obtuse, isosceles, equilateral).
- Students will prove the Triangle Inequality Theorem.
Rationale (Diagnostic Results)
You may assume all triangles are equilateral, isosceles, or right. You may make additional assumptions that are not given in the problem i.e. a right triangle must have angle measures of 45, 45 and 90 degrees.
Standards Addressed in the Lesson
- Watch (Triangle Inequality)
- Watch (Classifying Triangles)
- Try This! (Classifying Triangles)
- Watch (Triangle Sum Theorem)