Learning Intentions (Objectives)
Students will be able to
1) analyze absolute value functions,
2) translate between representations particularly between table, graph, equation,
3) connect to general concepts of transformations of functions \(a•f(x+h)-k\).
Rationale (Diagnostic Results)
Students often have difficulty writing, graphing, interpreting absolute value functions in two variables. In particular, they often ignore the absolute value when solving equations. Working with absolute value functions extends work with linear functions, as well as transformations of parent functions.
Standards Addressed in this Lesson
- Explore (Which One Doesn’t Belong)
- Try This! Absolute Value Parent Function
- Explore 2
- Try This! Analysis of WODB
- Making Connections