Learning Intentions (Objectives)
Students will use the algebraic form of functions to combine by addition, subtraction and multiplication and sketch (graph) the appropriate graphical representation.
Rationale (Diagnostic Results)
Utilizing the properties of functions, students will gain experience in building functions, particularly quadratic functions by making connections to their prior knowledge of multiplication of factors to find the product, ie, two linear factors result in a quadratic expression. They then will predict and sketch graphs that represent the functions.
Standards Addressed in this Lesson
- Explore (Linear to Quadratic)
- Practice (Building Functions)
- Making Connections (Graphs from Building Functions)
- Explore (Graphing with Technology)
- Practice (Building Functions and Graphing)