Learning Intentions (Objectives)
Students will be able to identify and write algebraic representations of vertical and horizontal shifts of quadratic functions.
Rationale (Diagnostic Results)
Students tend to confuse the horizontal and vertical shifts when examining and interpreting functions. Particularly the placement of the constant in the algebraic representation and how it relates to the graphical representation.
Standards Addressed in this Lesson
- Try This! (Which One Doesn’t Belong)
- Explore (Graphing Quadratics)
- Read (Vertical Shifts of Quadratic Functions)
- Making Connections (Quadratics and Vertical Shifts)
- Explore (Graphing Quadratics, again)
- Watch (Parabola Transformations)
- Making Connections (Quadratics and Horizontal Shifts)
- Try This! ( Bringing it all together)