Draw a figure that represents the situation and solve.
- Briana is using a mirror and a measuring tape to find the height of a building. The mirror is placed 20′ from the base of the building. Her eye height is \(5’6″\). She walked \(5’\) from mirror until she saw the top of the building in the mirror. Find the height of the building.
- Suzanne is also using a mirror and a measuring tape to find the height of the library. Her eye height is \(5’3″\). The mirror is placed 20′ from the library. She is \(1.75’\) from the mirror when she looks in the mirror and sees the top of the library. Find the height of the library.
- The flagpole casts a \(15’\) shadow. At the same time Carlos, \(6’3″\), casts a 3′ shadow. Find the height of the flagpole.
- As a tennis player you want to place the ball so that your opponent may have a hard time reaching it. You want to place it 12′ on the other side of the net and the net is \(3.5’\) high. Your generally hit the ball at a height \(8’\) so how far from the net should you be when you hit the ball?
- At noon, your \(6’3″\) friend casts a \(2’\) whereas a tree casts a \(9’\) shadow. How tall is the tree?